Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Little Bit of Random



I guess I am still suffering from the after effects of too much Tryptophan; my thoughts have been completely uncoordinated for the last few days.

Like the other day when Hostess and the Baker's union failed to come to an agreement in a bankruptcy ordered mediation. Who is in charge of that union?!?!? The company says 8% pay cut or we close the doors; the company closes the doors and puts you out of a job. Then the court orders the two parties back to the table, as a last ditch effort to save the company, and.... YOU STILL DON"T ACCEPT THE DEAL!?!?!?!?

I'm lost. Did the union not believe the company the first time, and STILL think they are bluffing about closing down? Or do they not want jobs in the first place? I might be interested once the book comes out. And this will be a classic case study in the ignorance of unions.

Speaking of unions, right after one votes themselves and 18,000 of their co-workers out of jobs is not the best time to try and organize a new place, like, say, Wal-mart? According to the news story I read this morning, apparently a whole 50 employees boycotted work at Wal-mart on Black Friday in support of the union. Yeah; that worked out well for them, didn't it?

And speaking of Wal-mart, the wife was there three times during Black Friday; once at 8:00 on Thanksgiving night; again about noon on Black Friday and again about 8:00 on Friday night. The early Black Friday shopping was busy, but the other two trips were normal weekend sized crowds. I guess everybody was already shopped out?

Personally, I have to be desperate for something to actually step into a store between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I hate crowds and I hate shopping. So I stock up on things I'll need early in November and stay away until January. Oh; I build my Christmas presents.

Which will start later today. I have a train or two to build, and a toy box. and a device to be named later. I'll probably spend at least a part of every day for the next month covered in sawdust.

Yes; that's a good thing!

No comments: