Friday, January 21, 2011

A Very Regional Issue



I've always heard, and believed, that we could never have another Civil War in this country because we don't have any divisive regional issues any more.

I'd say this map kind of disproves that theory.

Obviously not all of these Red Districts, or Blue Districts for that matter, are as monolithic as they appear on this map, but still, it draws a very clear distinction between the coasts, the central cities and 'fly-over country', doesn't it?

Apparently, Nationalization of Health Care is a regional issue.

And, apparently we are fighting over it.

Here is a graphic of the states that have filed or joined lawsuits to overturn Obamacare:



I couldn't find a map with all 27 states on it; I had to modify the 21 state map; I guess you can tell which states I added?

The point is, again, its the south and the center of the country fighting against the coasts. If the courts rule in favor of Obamacare, how far will the anti-states go to avoid implementation of the take over scheme?

That is the big question, isn't it?

I guess the bigger question is whether or not the Federal Government gets the message before secession starts. Things are more civil than they were in the 1860's, so I doubt Civil War will immediately follow Civil Lawsuit, but I also doubt that a failure to over turn this legislative abomination will result in acquiescence.

Repeal of Obamacare has already passed the House; will popular pressure force a vote in the Senate; something Reid has said he won't allow? If it does pass the Senate. will popular pressure force Obama to sign it? Yeah I doubt it too.

That means we need to find a President and a Senate that agrees with the majority of the country. That should be easy to do in 2012, provided the Republicans keep their act together and actually pass some legislation that is in the country's interest, not Washington's.

On that point I am wishful, not hopeful.

No comments: