Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's Five O'clock Somewhere. Or Not


I had a conversation yesterday with a coworker about 2:00, and he ended with- 'Is it 5:00 yet?' My response was-'Not here'. 'Well', he said, 'it's five o'clock somewhere'.

Okay, so I'm a geek or something. We started discussing where it was 5:00. I figured Greenland or Iceland and I had to see if I was right. I wasn't.

I found this site that shows all of the world's time zones. Basically, the world's time begins in Greenwich England; GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) 0. The eastern time zone of the US is GMT-5. So if in the Eastern US it is 2:00, in GMT-2 its 5:00.

I also found some interesting anomalies in the world's time keeping. Check out Nepal. Or Alaska. Alaska is mostly in GMT-10, with parts in GMT-9 and GMT-11 but keeps it time at GMT-9. Strange. Greenland does something similar.

Like I said; I'm a geek. But, I digress.

Although there are several landmasses in GMT-2 (Greenland for instance), none use GMT-2 as local time. The sole exception would be San Paulo Brazil, which during the summer is on Daylight Saving Time, and only there is it 5:00 when its 2;00 EST. Since it is summer in Brazil now, we do have 5:00 somewhere at 2:00.

But don't ask in July; then you'd be screwed.

No comments: