Sunday, November 8, 2009

What Else Can You Do on a Sunday Morning?


As I have mentioned, I am not a fan of Google anymore. I have been using BING, which has some pretty cool features. Their daily photograph is usually incredible. But, I digress.

I was reading Instapundit this morning and found a link to a Google site that tracks ships worldwide. Pretty interesting. But the Edjamikated Redneck does not just view; he explores.

Not only can you track a ship on the Oceans of the world; you can track a tugboat on the Ohio River. As I said; I'm not a fan of Google anymore, but Google does THIS, and nobody else does, so I guess I have to man up and use it.

Not only does it show position and direction, you can also click a button so it will show the name of the ship. Then click on the VESSELS tab and click the ship icon. You will be able to see a picture of the ship and some data on the ship and its current trip.

There is also a neat feature where you can search on a ship by name. Grandma on a cruise? You can search on the ship to see where it's at and where it's going and how fast.

You can also search on a port (unfortunately Cincinnati doesn't classify as a port) to see what kind of shipping runs through it on a monthly basis.

Locally, if you see a tug on the river you can check the map, see the ships name and see where its headed.

All in all a rather cool site.

No comments: