Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Screen Door in A Submarine Time




I was surfing the 'net and found this and started to read the article.

Within 3 paragraphs I realized either the author is out of touch with reality, or I am. The 'money' quote:

Except for a long straightaway on the way back to the Civic Auditorium, we never felt out of sync with the speed of traffic. .... when we sped up to the Wheego's top speed of 25 mph.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but with a top speed of 25 mph around here you would be limited to about a 10 by 10 block are of downtown. And that is provided the thing will climb a hill.

Basically, this thing is an $18,000 golf cart that is street legal. And this is the CADILLAC of electric vehicles?!?!?! Either this guy has no idea what the Cadillac of a genre is; the idea of a Cadillac of something has seriously gone down hill, or this IS the Cadillac of EVs and they are a sorrier lot of garbage than I ever imagined.

Just so I don't leave in doubt who is the one of us out of touch, I want to highlight this line:

It's easy to imagine that most people will be able to make an NEV like the Wheego work just fine in day-to-day use...

NONE of the people I know could make this work without being a traffic hazard. I can't think of a single person I know who could make their drive to work without leaving a 25 mph zone. Well, except for the folks who commute in their pajamas.

No comments: