Sunday, June 7, 2009

D-Day; The 6th of June

Yesterday was June 6th; the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings.


I did what I always do on June 6th. I watched ‘The Longest Day’.


I don’t know if there is a more accurate movie about D-Day (‘Saving Private Ryan’ doesn’t count- D-Day is a part of the movie, not a focus), but then, I haven’t seen them all. I do know you’re not going to find a more entertaining one.


I am a history buff, and one of the problems I have with the way history is taught is the initial focus (like when your in 2nd grade) on Who, What, When, Where. The Joe Friday approach; Just the facts ma’am. And memorize them; you WILL be tested.


And then everybody wonders why by 5th grade the kids hate history.


Not that the facts aren’t important, and some dates SHOULD be carved into your memory (July 4th, 1776; April 8th, 1865; December 7th, 1941; June 6th, 1944 and September 11th, 2001 for examples), but it is the bare rote style that kills an interest in history just when a lifelong interest could be nurtured.


Which is why every year I watch ‘The Longest Day’, and when they were younger, encouraged my kids to watch it with me. Some years they did, some years they didn’t.


And sometimes I catch them watching it without me.

1 comment:

Deb said...

My husband does the same thing. It is a ritual. This year he watched Band of Brothers too.