Thursday, May 7, 2009

As Popeye Says

As Popeye always says-“I’ve had all I can stands and I cain’t stands no more”!

How much longer will we be tortured by the Swine Flu?

This in not even an epidemic, much less a pandemic. What do we have? 400-500 cases? In a country of 350 MILLION?

I’m not enough of a mathematician to give you the odds against getting Swine Flu (yeah I know it’s now House 1; Bettors 0 Flue or some such crap officially, but I knew the Flu back in the day; it will always be good ol’ Swine Flu to me), but a rough guess would be about 1,000,000 to 1 against getting it, and 350,000,000 to 1 against dying from it.

That doesn’t seem like a big risk to me. What are my odds of dying from ANYTHING in the next year? Apparently your friendly neighborhood Federal Government wants to know as well. They compiled a chart and published it on the internets back when the illiterate GW Bush was in the White House. The new guy apparently thinks you don’t need that information.

But I did find the chart on another blog – if I knew how to do all the fancy stuff I’d do it: (http://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/2008/03/odds-of-dying-in-us.html).

One thing that struck me was the idea that I only have a 23 to1 chance of dying in my lifetime from anything?!?!?!?! WTF!?!?!? Does that mean I’m only going to die AFTER I’m DEAD?

And what about all of those “unintentional” things? Does that mean people actually get bitten by Hornets INTENTIONALLY?

This may not be a complete list; I don’t see the flu on here at all, and a normal flu bug kills 30,000 people a year in this country. Swine Flu? MAYBE (and that’s a BIG MAYBE) – Drum Roll Please--- 2.

I’m done with this garbage. Drop the Swine Flu Hype already.

No comments: