Saturday, March 13, 2010

So Here I Am, Minding My Own Business When...


I get a call from an outfit called Townhall with a Washington DC area code. I admit to being intrigued. I have been involved with a couple of these with my Congressman, Geoff Davis, so I naturally assumed it was him.

It wasn’t.

It was the Campbell County Judge Executive, who in Kentucky is, for lack of a better analogy, the Mayor of the County.

Think Boss Hogg.

Anyway, I stayed on the line. I am not a big fan of Steve Pendry. I would damn near reelect Obama before I would vote for Pendry again. I said DAMN NEAR. I am torqued off at Pendry; I’m not an idiot.

Where was I? Oh yeah. So here we have a call from the DC area, with some dude with a fruity English accent (you know the one; all the vowels are sounded out; each consonant has the proper tone and depth. Sounds just like every politician you have ever heard speak from the House of Commons) and the first thing he does is ask Pendry about the job of Judge Executive. Pendry spouts some drivel for about 5 minutes and Fruity English Dude (hereinafter FED) pulls the full Obama; ‘Wow Steven I am impressed with your depth of Knowledge about the job of Judge Executive and your concern for my fellow citizens of Campbell County’.

Say What?!?!?

There is no way on God’s green Earth this fool lives in Campbell County. Hell, if he has ever been here it would surprise me. I’d lay money FED couldn’t find Kentucky on a map, much less Campbell County.

But to be fair, I don’t think Pendry has been south of Fort Thomas since the last election. Maybe that’s why he didn’t catch on that FED wasn’t a good idea for a moderator.

And, believe it or not, it went downhill from there. They took a few softball questions from the crowd, and Pendry responded with the usual political hackery non-response. There was one real question that I heard, from a farmer in the southern end of the county who was complaining that farmers had to buy an occupational license to farm 10 acres, even if it wasn’t a full time job, but how many people were sitting in their basements, working from home without one?

Well of course Pendry says that the home workers are required to have a license. And FED again gushes his admiration for Pendry’s depth of knowledge. The real issue? They’ll go after a farmer; his work is visible from the roadside, and he lives ‘down there’, where they don’t have sidewalks, and the home workers are all friends of Pendry.

I listened about an hour- while doing other things- and finally hung up when FED says ‘To get involved in the campaign to Re-elect Steven Pendry, push 7 now’.

So hear I think I am participating in a town hall with an elected county official, and instead I have been listening to an hour long re-election bit?

I guess Pendry must be getting desperate. He probably has seen a poll that shows Kevin Sell will whup his butt in the primary.

One thing I heard that really made me think Pendry is not in touch with his constituency: He bragged about twice in the last few months being Washington and the money he brought back to the county. Does he realize most of us want the graft in Washington to STOP? No matter who gets it.

No comments: