Wednesday, August 26, 2009

RIP Edward Kennedy


Ted Kennedy died today, and I am not sure how to feel about it.

He was one of probably millions to lay down his mortal burdens in the last 24 hours, but the only one to really get any press, and to be eulogized by the President of the USA.

My religious training tells me that the loss of every individual is a tragedy in God’s eyes. I also want to express my sympathies to his family. He was, after all, a father, uncle, grandfather and husband. All else aside, the private mourners have my sincerest, deepest sympathy.

But, we also have to deal with the public Teddy Kennedy, and there I am rejoicing. It took death to relieve the Senate of Teddy Kennedy, but finally we have relief. Do you realize there are children in Massachusetts who have never known a day without Kennedy in the Senate? Children? Hell, there are parents who have never know the day. Probably even grandparents, who can’t remember his first election, and great-grandparents who probably cannot remember a Massachusetts ballot without his name on it.

How much more does it take to explain what is wrong with this country than to say Ted Kennedy spent 47 years in the Senate?

And not just him; Byrd and McConnell are problems too, and every other SOB who has been elected more than twice.

47 Years. He was 30 when first elected. Never held a job. Never lived under any of the laws he passed; never paid a dime into Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid or any other government program he so proudly foisted on the rest of us.

And the overlords wonder why the natives are restless. They fail to take the Tea Parties and Townhall gatherings seriously, at least on the surface, but underneath, are they getting the message?

I am real interested in the outcome of the race to replace Teddy. What are the odds that a Republican can take that seat? I think I’d be forced to dance a public jig if that happened!

No comments: